The Florida Keys by The Numbers
Jay Taylor December 23, 2016
- The year 1513. Ponce de Leon was the first person of European descent to land in the Florida Keys to explore it’s magic.
- The year 1948. Famous film, “Key Largo” staring Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall was filmed.
- The year 1982. Key West was declared independent and renamed, The Conch Republic, by then mayor, Dennis Wardlow.
- The year 1978. The weight 612 pounds. An official state record, broad-bill fish caught off the cost of Key Largo, Florida.
- The length 150 miles. The only living coral reef in the continental United States is the, “Florida Reef Track“.
- The temperature 72° F. The December mean air temperature in Key West and the Florida keys. The water temp is 72° F.
- The age 64. Diana Nyad swam from Key West, Florida to, Havana, Cuba. 110 miles, 53 hours, her 5th attempt in 35 years.
- The connections 42. 113 miles of Florida Keys Islands are connected by 42 bridges. One of which is called the “Seven Mile Bridge”
- The time 3.5 hours. If your are visiting Miami and want to go to, Key West, it will take you about 3.5 hours. “Bon Voyage”
Some of the ideas for this post, came from a magazine, “Hemispheres”, I read while I was on a United Airlines flight.